If you suspect you have a leak somewhere in your property but aren’t sure where, our leak detection specialists can help. They use a range of non-invasive techniques to seek out and identify the cause of leaks around the home, and to find the best method to fix the problem. Often, a specialist will use more than one technique in the process to ensure their finds are as accurate as possible. Read more about each technique below.
Trace & Access Leak Detection Techniques
Thermal imaging camera
This non-intrusive technology helps to identify problems much quicker than using conventional methods. It means surface temperatures can be recorded without needing to insert probes into the structure of a property. The equipment is more accurate and reliable than visual inspections.
The same technology can also be used to detect areas of excess moisture and damp or to reveal under floor heating or pipework prior to any planned building work taking place. The camera is able to detect temperature changes behind walls and beneath floors.
A non-harmful gas mixture that has no odour can be released into empty pipework. Our leak detection tradesmen use a highly sensitive detection probe to locate exactly where the gas is escaping. This non-evasive technique is reliable and can be very quick at locating leaks in pipes, even if they’re buried.
Tracer gas can also be used to find the source of leaks in sections of flat roof or around skylight. The gas can be released into the ceiling void and the probe used to pinpoint where it escapes.
This is a non-destructive technique. The gas leaves no residue or smell and is completely safe to use in all types of pipework, including drinking water supplies.
Our moisture meters are extremely sensitive monitoring devices. They enable our tradesmen to accurately assess moisture levels in any building material to a depth of 15mm. This allows them to accurately locate any area within your property that is affected by excess moisture. Readings are taken by inserting two probes into the building material (this leaves two small holes where each reading is taken).
Treating areas of damp and excess moisture is important to restrict the development of mould within a property. The inhalation of mould spores is strongly advised against for health reasons.
Our specialist leak detection tradesmen use microphones to position the location of a leak. This sensitive equipment amplifies to sound of water dripping and leaking from pipework beneath the ground.
Leaks can be heard and pinpointed prior to excavation work taking place. This technique can drastically reduce the amount of digging that would otherwise be needed to locate and fix the problem.
The microphones are so sensitive that they can detect a leak in pipework that’s buried beneath a few feet of concrete. This technique reduces the need for excavation work.
No hidden extras
What you get from Aspect
- Experienced & vetted tradespeople
- 24 hour availability for all trades
- Dedicated Service Support Manager
- Aspect Guarantee on workmanship
- Peace of mind from trade accreditation
Occasional extra costs
- Parts and materials used
- Collection of parts and materials
- Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) charge
We won’t charge you for
- Cost of parking
- Fuel or travel time
- Congestion Charge
Our guarantee and accreditations
We're fully trade accredited. Aspect is registered with Gas Safe, the National Association of Drainage Contractors (NADC) and the Worshipful Company of Plumbers. All our leak detection experts are vetted and trade accredited. In addition, the Aspect Guarantee covers our tradesmen's workmanship for up to 12 months.
When you book and Aspect leak detection specialist you can count on getting the professional expertise you're looking for.
Can’t find the information you’re looking for?
Our other damp and leak detection pages
Our leak detection experts can be booked for a wide range of tasks. Read more about the range of services we provide here: –
- Finding bath & shower leaks; bathroom leaks can be tricky to isolate, avoid unnecessary damage to tiled floors and walls with trace and access methods
- Detection of ceiling leaks; as well as finding plumbing leaks our experts can trace any source of water ingress such as leaking roofs or brickwork
- Finding heating system leaks; our Gas Safe registered tradespeople can pinpoint the location of a concealed leak anywhere on a central heating system
- Damp and mould removal; before removing mould from walls be sure a leak or water ingress isn’t the cause of excess moisture that helps it to grow
- Underground leak detection; the no-dig techniques used to find leaks in buried pipes are extremely reliable and include acoustic equipment and tracer gas
- Our leak detection services; if you have signs of damp at home, we find and fix water leaks and sources of water ingress wherever they are in a property